Sunday, March 9, 2008

Exclam! cover shots


I hope this is the first of many. I'm just experimenting with the scanner right now. The quality leaves a great deal to be desired - but then again, I'm using a .gif file of less than 1 MB. A full bitmap image is over 10 MBs - which is about 2 MB over the limit for blogger photos. So I've got to play around with it a bit.

My plan, of course, is to provide a library of EXCLAM! cover shots. Maybe .pdf file versions of all the old issues of EXCLAM! would be a good idea as well.

3 comments:

Chess Manitoba said...

Nigel - I have scanned a few Exclams in pdf but the files are huge.

Nigel Hanrahan said...

Yea, I'm not surprised. I might be able to play around with the "dpi" on the scanner and make the files a little smaller, but probably not by much. Still, it's something I will probably want to do anyway.

There are also a few autographed Exclam! covers that readers of this blog would probably like to see; these include the late Albert Boxer, John Burstow, Kevin Gentes, Dale Kirton, and Arthur Prystenski. There is also an autographed copy of the Exclam! from August 1989 - signed by the late Pastor Barry Rasmussen - in Winnipeg.

By the way, J. Ken MacDonald, a regular contributor to ChessTalk, now has a complete collection of Exclam! including all the copies of the small publication that preceded Exclam!. Amazing.

Chess Manitoba said...

Most scanners have settings for grey-scale, black and White, and colour.
To create a smaller file, I usually scan text only pages in black and white, but the diagrams and pictures usually in grey-scale.
The other option (depending on how you want to share/display the pages, is to save each page as a gif, on jpg. The file sizes are much,much smaller, but of course it ends up as a different animal.