Wednesday, April 16, 2008

April Weekend Tournament

The April Sectional Tournament is fast approaching. The original deadline for registration was Tuesday, April the 15th but it's not too late to give Lorne a call and register!!

NEWS FLASH: TD Lorne Gibbons is seriously considering changing the event to an Active tournament. He suggested 2 rounds on Friday and 3 on Saturday. If you are interested in such a tournament, then show up this evening and register.

Prospective players can contact Lorne Gibbons during the TNT evenings at the University of Winnipeg or at 222-0855. They can also e mail me at the following address: niginator AT shaw DOT ca. (Replace AT with @ and DOT with . ) I will be posting the updated list of players on this blog as they are added. The parings will be posted on the MCA website as well, and that will probably be done by Alex Nikouline once registration is over.

The event is a 5 round Round Robin tournament broken into sections of 6 players. Typically, there is also a final "open" section of the players with the lowest ratings that cannot be fit into a section of 6 players. The tournament will be played in room 5L24 at the U of W.

Time controls for the event are as follows: Fri all moves/120 minutes; Sat & Sun 30/90, then all/60.

A sectional tournament is an opportunity for players to have a series of games against players with ratings similar to their own. The opponents, and colours, are known in advance. The only caution is that byes are pretty well impossible to get so players should expect to play all 5 rounds.

Let us know of your intention to play. I will add the names as they come in.

Name Rating
Khedkar, Jay S. 1883
Kong, Dezheng 1862
Iomdina, Bella 1775
Gannon, Keith 1685
Green, Aaron 1667
Green, Jim 1662
Lipic, Stephen 1599
Goodman, Clifford 1595
Letain, Cory 1430
Green, Leah 1163

-------

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to register, so please count me in for this tourney.

Stephen Lipic

Anonymous said...

are there still only 3 registered players? is this tourney gonna fall through?

Nigel Hanrahan said...

This time around we didn't promote the tournament as early as we would like. Furthermore, many players will wait until the last second to register. So let's just see what happens, especially on Tuesday, and go from there, eh?

Anonymous said...

Nigel,
Just a couple of comments on "advertising" the sectional.

1. You need to keep it bumped up at the top of chessmanitoba - on top of the inconsequential speed results.

2. to late now, but tell Cecil about it to put in the column; because it is bi-weekly you probably have to tell him 4 weeks ahead.

3. List the registered players on your blog also - redundancy doesn't hurt.

Nigel Hanrahan said...

1. I tried to do that already but, unfortunately, due to a story being locked, I wasn't able to bump the Sectional story. At least I now know what the problem is. I'm sending an e mail to Xxxxx to remedy the problem.
2. Good point.
3. Done.

Anonymous said...

so tuesday came and went, apparently the registration deadline is closed with 3 players? Is this tournament going to have to be cancelled?

Nigel Hanrahan said...

We are now up to 11 players, not including TD Lorne Gibbons (who will likely play if he has to). I have it on good authority that 2 more strong players MAY be forthcoming.

It's not too late to register, anonymous!!

Anonymous said...

Nigel,
If you want to bump a blog post, just edit in change the date at the bottom. That is if you want to bump.





"We're only making plans for Nigel
We only want what's best for him
We're only making plans for Nigel
Nigel just needs a helping hand"

Nigel Hanrahan said...

thx. Done.

Nigel Hanrahan said...

The two more strong players that I mentioned, it turns out, are not going to play. However, with 12 players, (including the TD Lorne Gibbons) there can still be two sections. So it can go ahead anyway, even if it is a small tournament.

Anonymous said...

Well, how can the format be changed a few hours before it is supposed to start ?
One of the appeals of the sectional is having pairings done Wednesday and a couple of days of preparation available.

Anonymous said...

I dropped out because of the format switch. I would much rather play a swiss, or any sort of cfc rated tournament than an active. I'm disappointed, but it would have been alot worse if I had shown up to the uni to find this out rather than calling Lorne.


clifford

Nigel Hanrahan said...

"Well, how can the format be changed a few hours before it is supposed to start ?"

With only 10 players, there was no realistic possibility of a sectional tournament. Furthermore, with so few players, even a 5 round swiss would have been difficult to make pairings in the final 2 rounds. The TD probably was just making the best of a difficult situation. But I sympathize. The reasons you cited are why I, personally, like sectional tourneys as well.

Anonymous said...

Well Nigel, you got your active tournament, but I don't think that it is what you had in mind.

By the way, I thought there was 12 players (11 + Lorne) signed up in what would have been 2 reasonably competitive sections.

Perhaps we could speculate for the reasons for the low sign-up.

First, I don't think it had anything to do with lack of publicity; we usually get 4+ sections with minimal effort.

So, I will offer any combination of the following:

1. April TNT is five rounds (by the way, how can this be changed mid-tournament from 4 to 5 rounds; I would be p*ssed if I was in contention and could only play the first 4 rounds.

2. The Thursday speed tourneys. I don't think these have been held in April before.

3. Last week of University,although I don't think there is many U players that are active.

4. A packed schedule for junior players.

and last but not least - the first full week and weekend of terrific weather.

Anonymous said...

There were only 8 players as a few more dropped out on Friday; a sectional tournament was impossible under such circumstances.

Nigel

Anonymous said...

Yours truly won though.

-- Stephen

Anonymous said...

I forgot another potential factor - Passover

Anonymous said...

Nigel, you still alive ?
Computer alive ?
and where is Quiet-tech ?

Chess Manitoba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

there should be a post about albert boxer tournament on this page

Anonymous said...

I think Nigel is Missing in action -
no sign of him since Apr 18 !
I hope all is well with him.

Nigel Hanrahan said...

OK, I'm back. Sorry for the absence, chess fans. I have to admit that I was swamped by so many e mails that I was suffering from "e mail fatigue". I guess I'm stretched a little thin - with the MCA, the Winnipeg Folk Festival, the choir I sing in, and so on.

Nigel