Monday, December 24, 2007

Thoughts at the end of 2007

2007 saw the beginning of a Chess Manitoba blog and then, in November, the beginning of this blog. I hope we can continue with this success. So far, I think it's fair to say that Jordan and I are having fun with this blog.

For myself, I played in 3 tournaments and gained 80 rating points in 2007. That's better than the 1 tournament I played in 2006. Given my break of almost 4 years from competitive chess between 2002 and 2006, I have to be happy with the results. Perhaps other observers or competitors in Manitoba chess circles would share some of their observations of Manitoba chess this year. Do you have a favourite game? What did 2007 mean for your chess? What was good? What was not so good?

Early in 2008, at the same time as the Kent Oliver Memorial tournament, the Manitoba Chess Association will hold its Annual General Meeting. At the AGM, a new Executive is elected and CFC Governors are chosen. I urge everyone to attend this important meeting if they are able.

Season's Greetings from Jordan and I and have a Happy New Year.

Nigel Hanrahan

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

(Saul) - the last half of '07 was my first time back at chess since a heartwrenching loss in the provincial finals 5 or 6 years ago, i'm pretty sure i was crying, anyways, i made a 500 point jump this year (from my childhood rating which somehow stuck with me) and am looking forward to further gains in 08, may everyone in manitoba chess have a great, happy, blunder free new year.

(fave game must be Atem - Kong from the yanofsky memorial)

or even better Hanrahan - Desjarlais !!!!! what a nice treat that poin mustve been for you nigel.

Anonymous said...

Is the Kent Oliver tournament starting at 7:00p.m on the 11th as per usual? For some reason the website has it listed as starting at 10:00 a.m that friday. That would be really odd if it were the case and would make it impossible for me to play in the first round.


clifford

Nigel Hanrahan said...

Saul, getting the point against Kevin Desjarlais was an unexpected treat (It was a double blunder as, after dropping his queen, Kevin still had a draw by moving his king into the corner for a stalemate, etc.) but I would not call it my own favorite game for 2007. That game should have been a draw; earlier I slipped up in the king and pawn ending when I had equality. Waldemar Schulz made this same observation right after the game. I should add that Kevin D. handled the loss very well and I hope and expect him to bounce back stronger in the future; I think he was a little spooked by the crowd that formed around the board as our game came to an end.

I liked my game against Kevin Booth in the October sectional tourney better as, in that case, I recovered from a misplayed opening for the win.

About the Kent Oliver Open ... that must be a typo, Clifford. But you could be absolutely sure and check with Lorne Gibbons by calling him at home: 222- 0855.

Anonymous said...

yo jordan, if you get this in time come down to the starbucks on corydon tomo ( the 2nd) i'll be there around 530ish, we can have a few games, anyone that reads is more than welcome to come by too, hope to see ya, -saul

Anonymous said...

Sorry Sual, I have a date with two very lovly young ladies, my two younger sisters, dinner and a movie kinda thing. We must keep trying to hook up!
all the best
Jordan